School Bus Safety
Depending on where you live, you might take the bus to school each morning and then home again each afternoon. The bus is a pretty fast and safe way to travel, but there are still some smart tips to know to stay safe while waiting for or boarding the bus.
Keep these tips in mind to board the school bus safely:
- Stay out of the road while waiting at the bus stop.
- Always wait for the bus to come to a complete stop and the driver to open the doors before you walk towards the bus. Never run around the bus—the driver sits up high and may not be able to see you!
- Wait your turn to board. Don’t push or shove other students.
- Find your seat quickly and sit down. Stay in your seat until you get to school.
- Listen to any instructions the bus driver may give you.
- Keep the aisles clear—keep your backpack, books, and other items on your lap or under your seat.
It’s also a good idea to arrive at the bus stop about 10 minutes early—this way you won’t have to rush if you’re running late. Remember to watch for cars on your way to and from the bus and never dart out into the street. Be polite to your bus driver and considerate of the other passengers and remember, let’s stay safe together!