Riding your bike can be a lot of fun, and it’s a great way to exercise and have some adventures with your friends. While you’re out riding, be sure to follow these tips to stay safe and have a great time.
Keep these tips in mind when riding your bike:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Stop, look at least twice, and listen for cars when crossing the street. (Speaking of which, check out other tips on How to Safely Cross the Street!)
- Ride with traffic on the right side of the sidewalk or on a bike path, if possible. If there are no sidewalks or bike paths, ride close to the edge of the right side of the road.
- It’s best not to ride in the dark or during bad weather. If you have to ride when it’s dark, make sure you have a working light on the front of your bike, a reflector on the back, and wear light-colored clothing so drivers can see you!
- Keep both hands on the handlebars.
- Look over your left shoulder to see if cars are coming, but don’t swerve into the street when you do. You should keep a rearview mirror on your bike to help you see.
- When in a group, ride in a single file.
- Always use hand signals when turning.
- Ride slowly and keep an eye out for cars backing out of driveways, garages, and alleys.
- Share the sidewalk with others. Be polite and considerate!
And don’t forget to keep your bike in good working condition to avoid an accident. Remember, “Let’s stay safe together!”