Electricity Safety

iStock_000005914696SmallElectricity is a very important part of our everyday lives: it powers our light bulbs, televisions, computers, refrigerators, and a whole lot more. But even though we use electricity every day, it can still be very dangerous and it’s important to use caution to avoid getting shocked.

Keep these tips in mind to be safe around electricity:

  • Never stick anything into an electrical outlet except the plugs that are designed for it—you could get shocked or even start a fire.
  • Never put something metal (like a fork or a spoon) in a toaster oven or microwave.
  • Never approach a downed power line—it is probably still conducting electricity and could seriously injure you.
  • Don’t use electric devices near the bath, shower, or sink.
  • Don’t touch an unfamiliar metal fence—it could be electric.

We rely on electricity to power our electronics and appliances, and it relies on us to keep our distance so it can keep doing its job. Always take care around electrical devices and power outlets. Remember, let’s stay safe together!